Monday, June 22, 2009

Technorati - is anybody home?

Technorati.com sounds like a great place - in theory. You claim your blog as your own, and you get access to a wealth of helpful tools that will help you be found. Easy access to your site means more people coming in. The site makes it out like you'll be rolling in viewers in no time.
Thing is, what happens if it doesn't work?

My site I'd attempted to "claim" on technorati. What happened? An error message:
"The URL you provided is invalid. Please check the URL and try again."

Invalid. What? How?
I'd tried different combinations to see what the problem could be, and they were all rejected. Considering that this site is up and running (which you can see since you're here and all) I'm pretty sure it's quite valid. I'd looked the problem up. Turns out that the problem isn't unique, and that there are loads of other people like me out there, and all within the past half a year. That makes this quite the new problem. I would email someone at technorati to see what's up, or ask for help in their forums, but apparently that does nothing for anyone else. It seems as if this site was someone's pet project as it's services are free, and they're finally bored of it. And now loads of people are left hanging.

For me, this isn't a big loss. There are other ways I can advertise my blog and I'm quite willing to do these things, but for the owners of technorati they might want to do something and soon, because they're losing people by the boatloads. That site used to be a necessity if you had a blog. Now? Well, what good is a service you can't even use?

UPDATE: Got through! My blog now exists. Huzzah! Still doesn't excuse the problems they've been having, but it's a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment